View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 05:59 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't travel well by car at all anymore. We used to drive halfway across the country without a second thought, but if I attempt a road trip now I can plan on 2-3 days of paying for it. Sometimes we just have to do it anyway. We had to travel up to northwestern Iowa several times last year for funerals and weddings, about a 10-11 hour drive if we go during the day. Between me and the kids, we spend a lot of time stopping for potty breaks, but I still get stiff and tired. I'm absolutely useless afterwards.

I seem to do better with flying for some reason. DH and I went on a cruise last fall. We flew from here to Chicago (3 hrs) to London (8 hrs) to Istanbul (3 hrs) with a layover in Chicago. I was able to sleep some on the planes, but not more than a few hours. I was exhausted when we got to the ship, but there were just so many interesting things to see along the way that I wasn't completely totaled. We weren't exactly party animals that night, though! I think we were asleep by 9:00.

For me, it seems to be about the planning more than anything. I make lists for months ahead of time and try to get as much done in advance as possible. If I can start out rested it's SO much better. And on the cruise, I knew I could go until I dropped and then go to bed - no responsibilities! Anytime we have the kids, I always have to keep something in reserve to take care of them.

"Never try to teach a pig to sing.
It wastes your time, and annoys the pig."
msarkie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote