Thread: RSD Options
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 07:59 PM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Strangely, my RSD went away after my rib resection. For about 3 years. It raised it's ugly head about a year ago, and I had to go to ER for the morphine infusions, and everyone there was saying, "what is that red stuff on your neck, chest, arms?" I said, "that's RSD! No, I don't sit in the sun, I am bedridden! (We live in the desert, so there are lots of red people running around.) Anyways, the hospitalist gave me Ativan before some MRIs and guess what, the redness went down...then the Ativan wore off, and the redness came back...so we put me on Ativan, small dose, three times per day if needed. It really does work for me in that way.

Also, I have to calm myself down. Easy to say when my kids are grown, and I have a home aide, etc. But there are lots of scares here, don't want to go into them, but I have to lay there and force my brain to calm down, as it does bring up the RSD.

I had RSD really bad for four years. I don't want to describe it all and put those thoughts or pictures in your head.

I just want you to have some assurance that no, not all surgery triggers RSD. It does in some. But in my case, the RSD came during the four years fighting for surgery and then when I had better circulation the RSD and headaches subsided, and the progression of the condition slowed way down.

Now, have you had your blood sugar checked? Why? RSD seems to have a connection to the high blood sugar, too. Just a possible clue.

Btw, RSD did not give me tremors or weakness, nerve damage did. I don't know why the docs believe that TOS cannot cause other nerve systems to be damaged, as I firmly believe it does, as my TOS symptoms went to my left foot / calf. I have no spinal disease in that area to attribute it to. And RSD was topical, like a sunburn, like blisters, like psoriasis, even though it had deep pain. The pain on my foot / calf or when those few times my legs simply don't work - that's nerve damage. In my opinion.

God, I hate doctors...

I don't know how we're going to live like this forever...

But get off Percocets and try Fentanyl patches - those are working for me better longer - I use Vicodin (right now, cuz I constantly have to circulate drugs as I build allergies so fast, but now we're back to Vicodin.) And the Ativan.

OH - forgot about the Ambien. Now other sleep meds don't help my TOS but Ambien seems to help the pain stay lower for a day after using Ambien. I am going to ask my doc if I can take up to two a night - right now it's less than 30 a month. But I need to check side effects first...always those damned side effects...

God bless you sweet heart...keep fighting...maybe you want to PM me the surgery you're having - I may have had it, and can offer further assurances?

Love, Tam
tshadow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (03-13-2009), LinJane (03-13-2009)