Thread: wasted money!
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 02:42 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have a tailbone area problem and I have also tried numerous things to try to relieve the pressure from sitting.

I recently tried soemthing new, which has given me the most relief so far.

I decided rather than try to relieve the pressure by having a cushion to sit on that I would try to relieve it my putting cushioning right on my tailbone itself.

I can not figure out how to explain this thing that I made... but I used lambswool (which you can find in the foot care aisle of most stores) and rolled gauze to create a donut for my tailbone and then I covered the whole thing in Tegaderm so tht it was protected from absorbing sweat and so it would last longer and not fall apart.

The rolled gauze is what makes the donut, the lambswool goes in the donut hole area to provide padding/cushion, the Tegaderm holds it all together and makes it easy to use and easy to clean.

I then attatch this homemade tailbone donut to my underwear using paper medical tape. I have to do some adjustments when I do to sit down to make sure that the donut is in the right place but it helps a lot.

When I attatch it to my body instead of my underwear I don't have to adjust as much, but I would rather do adjustments that have to rip tape off of my skin when I want to take it off.

I got the idea from a friend who is a CNA... she recently had a patient with a tailbone problem, and the patient attatched maxi-pads to her tailbone and underwear to provide an all day cushion without having to drag a donut pillow all over the place....

My friend told me the story thinking that the patient was a nutcase - but it gave me the idea to use a cushion for my body instead of for my chair. So far, it has worked much better than any donut cushion or other chair padding... although the bump of wearing this thing on my tailbone makes by butt look weird but I don't care since I am only using it at home, and if I wanted to go out while wearing it, I could just wear baggy pants and a long sewater and no one would notice a thing.
Wittesea is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote