View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 02:51 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

BS~
I SO hear ya on how "kids" can emotionally drain you. How long do your parental responsibilities go on---till they are 70? I love my kids like everything, but some of you know I am going through some rough times with my oldest also.

She is 29 and a recovering addict. She is also an RN. THe latest is she (we) have to appear before the State Board of Nursing December 19th to answer some allegations that happened 14 months ago when whe was working at a different place. We (I) have gone through hell with drying her out, only to find out the next day she went back to drugs---pain pills. She was so far gone guys she stole 2 weeks worth of MY pain Narcotics as well as 54 other Narcotics I had prescribed for me.

Long story that some of you know--thank you for helping, or letting me vent. How long are you responsible for what your "children" do or not do? Rhetorical question I suppose.

Nancy, honey, I do not know what to tell you. I do not know what to tell myself. Can any of you guys help with any words of wisdom? I REALLY like your idea of a discussion about children emotionally draining us.

I know we should cut the apron strings, but how do we do that? I have done that, most of the way--she is living on her own with her three year old.

Nance, Chris maybe needs to hit bottom like Laura did? It's hard to see them fall/fail and get hurt, but maybe that's what he needs? Maybe he needs a kick in the @ss and for him to know mommy WON'T be there? Tell him you're through maybe?

The last time I went to the lawyer with Laura I hollered at her that she better thank her brother, because if not for his pleading, I was ready to throw her to the wolves. He pleaded with me to give her one last chance--to make it damn clear that this WAS IT--her last get out of jail free card! I agreed.

I was hollering this. I could not help myself. I think I was at the breaking point. Maybe Chris would need to hear something like this? I don't know Nance. He is a little younger than Laura, so maybe not.

You guys all have opinions. Please express them. We need them. We are asking for help. Anybody. Has anything helped/not helped?

Thanking everybody in advance!
LS--alias Jan