View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 03:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I to was refused entry in to a court room in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDPhD View Post
I was refused entry into the local Social Security office today. Rather than insist, I am going back in the morning with papers in hand.

The Officer at the door refused me entry because I did not have "national certification" for my service dog. I explained that there was no such thing. He asked all types of (illegal) questions and I shared politely with him that asking "that" was against the law.

He informed me that, being a federal building, they aren't under the ADA. When I asked him where he read that he said it was in his handbook. I told him it needed to be changed.

Tomorrow morning, if I can rise early enough, I will return to the office before everyone else, and give the gentleman a copy of the UPDATED Section 504, which includes the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which extension was done in 1987!

When I called the Department of Justice, ADA department, the lady said that it would be best if I (also) told the Supervisor the information. So maybe I'll take two copies, one in an envelope with a letter explaining the need for current information.

I feel for those who cannot communicate as well as I in such circumstances, and know this frustration. Even though I was quite eloquent with the man, his training failed him somewhere. Those who are totally deaf (or otherwise unable to self-advocate) don't have a chance!
I was refused entry in to the court room for my son in a very bad trial the judge asked me what was the medical need and that my dog did not go to school i have a letter from a licened Doctor here iin Anchorage Alaska i went on t.v and do not know where else to go and Alaska thinks assist dogs are for the blind only i tryed to explain it to him but he said his court room is not a doggie day camp i felt so very up set my dog has never been refused entry anywhere i was in another court room with him for the first part of this trial in Palmer ,Alaska and was allowed entry how do i get my rights to be able to go in to court with my dog? any help you could pass on would help Thank you Sherry
sherryklly is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote