View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 05:55 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
I just didn't want someone new to the idea of a gluten free diet to get even more confused about what they had to give up.
We had a patient come in, who told me she is gluten free. I told her I have been gluten free for over 8 years and we started talking. I asked her if she had found a good doctor in our area and she told me she was going to the same PCP I do. Thing is, the PA diagnosed her, yet when she left the office, the PA told her, "Stay away from wheat and you will do fine." She went home to the internet and realized wheat is not the only gluten, and was scared. I told her it may help her to find a good nutritionist/dietician who could help her out, and I gave her my email addy.

A couple of years ago in the same office, I had one of the PA's tell me that his son was celiac. He says, "The poor little guy can't have barley." I told him that if his son actually has celiac, then he needs to study up on what gluten is, because keeping just barley from his son will not help him. I found this really sad, that man should have been a great help to a celiac, yet he didn't even research for his own son.

I'm sorry WeaveHerr, sometimes I come on too strong. I have been from doctor to doctor, trying to find one that actually understands celiac disease. My neuro is the first one who seems to understand it best. My PCP is always willing to learn, and that's nice.

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!
darlindeb25 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote