Thread: Is this normal?
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2009, 07:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Just the 2 of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiko View Post
Hi, she is not on any meds. She has a low thyroid and takes medicine for it. I think she was out of them for a few days when all this happened.

We do not have any guns. She had a fit when she found a B.B. gun in my son's room. Do not even start me on that story.It was very painful.

Who is taking care of your Mom now?
Oh, it's good that won't be an issue for you. My mom FREAKED when we suggested we should take the bullets out. She was always a bit like this "Eccentric" but she just kept getting stranger everyday. We all feel like complete jerks now that we know it was this disease eating away at her brain. We just thought she was being stubborn as usual.

She lived with my younger sister for the past 12 years for no particular reason, just worked out that way. My sister would always call to complain what a pain in the butt she was being, I would talk to her about it & it seemed to make things better. Until one day my sis called crying, looking for a way to end her miserable life. I insisted that she just bring her down to me & I would handle her care. NEXT day she was here, 900 miles away.lol

So now it is just me & mom. My husband is military & is deployed to Afghanistan or Iraq most of the time. I never know if he will come back to me alive or in one piece. But I do know he is ok with mom being here, as it was his idea & insistence. He is Egyptian & from a culture that does not believe in Nursing homes. We take care of our family until the day they die.

The way I figure it is this> I'm pretty well recovered from my accident, I have a home, husband, secure & well adjusted marriage, plus plenty of room here with a huge back yard all fenced in. She is safe here. If she does get out the door, she can only go as far as the yard. She has no clue that she is locked in so it works good.
My sis on the other hand has had her for 12 years, spent every cent trying to make her happy, She is in bad health because she has been so busy taking care of mom. She isn't married (Who would even want to consider that package deal) & has no house, just rents. This is MY way of helping them both!
It's a lot harder that I thought! She's a mess. She turns from sweet & loving to EVIL, Scarry, Monster. I have hidden all the matches, knifes, guns, taken the knobs off the stove, removed all carpet runners through out the house, put up HUGE signs on Red construction paper with arrows to her room, bathroom ect...Red seems to get her attention better than other colors.

To be quite honest know one really knows what she has. After falling asleep for 2 days at my sisters, it was finally discovered she had not been up at all. She was snorin away though. called 911 & she remained "asleep"for 2 weeks. When she finally woke she had further brain damage but could never find a cause....not a stroke. I believe it was overdose but because she had wet the bed for those 2 days, it was gone from her system...In any case, after a year of in & out of hospitals & 7 nursing homes they came up with the DX of Schizophrenia,Alzheimers,& Dementia w/Parkinson like symptoms. She is on 14 diff. meds. now & just gets less coherent every day.

I will hang in as long as possible, but it's so hard! I hate it all. Especially with my medical problems, Brain injury, Nerve damage, & chronic pain from all the broken bones. This forum has been a lifesaver for me! I have found so many helpful people & info!

My appoligies for taking so much of your time...Perhaps there is something here that will be of help to you
gardengrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote