View Single Post
Old 12-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Let's see...I celebrated my birthday last week with a homemade BD cake that my three youngest grandkids decorated...so you can imagine...8, 6 and 4 yrs. My prized gift was a funkie ink pen, which the 8 yr old gave me. It is one of her prized possessions, but being the warmly generous person that she is, she loves to give away her possessions to people who express an interest in them, which I had done a couple of days earlier.

Friday I went into D.C. with a friend. She came in from WV and I from PA. We met at the Shady Grove Metro station. Walked to the boarding house Lincoln died in, and went across the street to see Ford's Theater...learned a lot there, the Ranger spokesperson was great in telling the story...saw the box they Lincoln's were in. Then walked to the Natl Archives...such a silent, somber place to visit. It is like being in a chapel or someplace reflective like that. Then the Metro to Arlington Cemetery to watch the guard change at the Unknown Soldier grave...another somber thing to witness...but incredible. Oh, yes, we did also visit the Natl Portrait Gallery in Chinatown...where all the president and first lady portraits are, and other exhibits.

Sadly, the Natl Museum of American History is closed until 2008. So, we didn't get to see Dorothy's shoes or Archie's chair!!

Back to watching grandchildren all week...normal week that is.
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote