View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 08:46 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hashimoto's

I actually came on this site for my own Neuro problems but, saw the Autoimmune Forum and Hashimoto's.

Approx 10 yrs ago, my son then 24 yo, my son suddenly started having chills then hot flashes, extreme fatigue falling asleep in his college classes and unable to run (he had been running up to 10 miles a day) he also had huge mood swings. Our Internist worked him up for everything from flu to Mono....after many test, he was diagnoised with Hashimoto's. Ironically enough, across the country my 27 yo nephew (a Marine) was being worked up for Gulf War Syndrome and low and behold, he too was diagnoised with Hashimoto's. It has become my understanding that the condition is very uncommon and even more so in men. Neither of these guys "looked" or acted the part of someone with thyroid problems....my son a distances runner and my nephew a Marine sargent. Neither had goiters.

My son currently takes 250 mcg of Synthroid and has been all over with his dosing. I read the post about T4 and T3. For the past year+ my son has been having joint pain, sleeplessness and is now being treated for depression. This is a kid who prior to diagnoises was a very laid back kid and then after being put on Synthroid would have periods of same. It has always been very obvious if he needs dose adjustments or has forgotten to take his Synthroid for a couple of days. I guess now I'm just wandering if he might actually have a T3 problem.

He has primarily been treated by the family Internist except when he was going to The Ohio State University when he was followed by the medical college Endocronologist professor (yeah he was excited about caring for my unusual son, lol). I am wondering if he would not fare better to be followed by an Endo once again.
crazynurse is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote