View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 11:19 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would avoid taking anything unless I knew it was helping or thought it might be. I always make changes to my regimine one at a time and "accidently on purpose" forget to take things once in a while. I only recently discovered one drug was causing tardive dystonia in addition to low grade hallucinations. Most of the upplements don't have any effect on me that is discernable especially in the short term. High doses of any of these can be detrimental or even fatal. As a rule of thumb you'll want to try to stay around the daily recommended dose. One doctor advised me to take 50000% of the daily dose for B6 but I couldn't get up to anything like that. I started at 1/ 10 th that amount and it caused severe headaches. Be careful of some like niacin as it can cause a painful flushing; it feels like your skin's on fire. Carotine is dangerous.

Even the biloba in large quantities is said to be dangerous but there are no bad effects associated with smaller amounts. They will avoid operating on you if you've taken it recently.

I take the 1000 mg tablets of vitamin C but cut them up into little tiny pieces and take one twice per day. It does seem effective at warding off colds which is critical to me. If I feel a cold coming on then I triple up on it and it seems to go away. If I might have been exposed to a cold I double up on it. As always the best way to avoid a cold is handwashing and vigilance. The vit C does seem to work though with 11 years experience.

If a medication isn't helping or is causing trouble talk to your doctor. Most can be replaced with something else. If a supplement isn't helping then you probably shouldn't be taking it. Most of these won't hurt you but anything can.

This is really complicated but in time you'll probably learn what works best for you. Learn your triggers (stress, light, noise, diet, additives, meds, supplements etc etc) and learn how to ignore the pain. It won't go away but you need to fight the disease not yourself.
Imahotep is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote