View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Well, I have my next Boniva IV inj next Tues. I did the labwork yest, as the Dr always checks my BUN, creatinen and blood calcium first to make sure it is stable. They just called and it's a GO.

I found out something very interesting last Sat. I was at a family birthday GTG and was talking to a cousin who is currently in his 2nd yr of Forteo daily inj's. He was on the oral Boniva before that and when he went in for a dental procedure, the dentist found that he had developed necrosis of his jaw. Needless to say, he now has a titanium rod in his jaw. But, he had me feel his jawbone on his outside jaw, and asked me if I could feel the small hard bumps? (not visable on the face). It was new bone forming!! I was totally amazed.

Now, before I get all nervous about the jaw necrosis, etc, I have weighed and measured and had several opinions and am going to continue the Boniva inj's every 3 months until the end of the year. The idea of breaking a hip terrifies me more than anything. The only side effect I have noticed is a day of light flu like sx's.

So, guess it's like mrsD is saying~ if you have something ''different'' or are having side effects from these drugs, it's best to check w/your own Dr. Not treating the Osteo could result if fractures.

I really like getting the input from you all on your experiences, as this is not just a woman's disease; my cousin is in his 60's and is a male. How they found out he had Osteo was he broke his wrist, then a rib and his Dr ordered a bone density scan.

Thanks again..

DM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Becky21 (03-17-2009), ewizabeth (03-17-2009), Koala77 (03-17-2009), SandyC (03-18-2009)