View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 04:53 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Supplements are that... to supplement what you NEED.

They are not drugs unless used in very high doses.

There are some parallels here on RSD to what the PNers here have.

And since I keep an eye on other research, I have been thinking about the posters here.

1) The possibility that RSD is a mitochondrial disorder is growing daily, as this research is hot right now.
If your mitochondria fail to work properly, then those cells don't work right and you have a "disorder".
The supplements for mito glitches are
acetyl carnitine
CoQ-10
Biotin
Lipoic acid (the new r-lipoic is better than Alpha lipoic)

All of these have been found useful for peripheral neuropathies induced by drugs/toxins and vaccines.

Also I can recall years ago that CALCIUM metabolism was considered a trigger for RSD. In fact there were posts on the old BT board that the IV bisphosphonates were being used in Europe successfully for this. But I am not finding posts here that anyone explored that option recently. In fact IV bisphosphonates are HERE in USA now for osteoporosis.

2) because of this suspected LINK...I think if you take Vit D and calcium without thought to balancing this intake with MAGNESIUM, you may be running into trouble or no response. (Neurontin-gabapentin is a drug that works this way)
Magnesium is a NMDA receptor antagonist, and I posted this recently. So ANYONE with chronic pain, should consider using magnesium. Magnesium also DILATES blood vessels...it is far stronger than the gingko in this regard.

3) antioxidants.... I have seen many posts here about the usefulness of these. Grape seed extract is excellent for this.
Also is curcumin. Curcumin has been recently found to be a huge blocker of endothelial inflammation (blood vessels), which leads to blocked blood vessels. Our PD forum uses this and if you search it there, they have some sterling papers to read.
Curcumin is highly popular now for any inflammatory disease/syndrome. Its only drawback is that it is not well absorbed but there are some choices that help with that.
Curcumin with the additive bioperine (Doctor's Best is an example)
or Curcumin used in studies with absorption enhanced properties --called CurCugel 500mg (this is the one I use)
Curcumin also helps arthritis, and any other inflammatory condition.
http://www.epic4health.com/cuul500mgena.html
I am only using one a day of these, and find considerable effect on my arthritis!

Hit and miss choice of supplements is frustrating. That is why I try to follow the research as much as possible.
The PN experience we share, I think can help many here.
B12
Vit D
are two very important nutrients for your nervous system.
Please visit our board, for details on these two as well.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Imahotep (03-18-2009)