View Single Post
Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default OK This May Sound Weird, But...

Just a small background: I found out i was Low on Vit B12 On January 16thh, and got B12 shots for 4 weeks, and was advised to take an oral B12 Vitamin everyday.

Since January 18th, I've had this unexplained pain my hip buttocks region. It started on the right side, then switched to the left.. then just was all over. I didnt fall or anything, so I got really concerned on what could be causing this.

I went to the Doctor the first week in Feburary, and had an xray done. Everything was normal. I thought I'd just be patient and the pain would disppear in time. It didnt. My last Vitamin B12 shot was given Friday Feb 6th. Afterward a few days, I noticed the buttocks/hip pain wasnt as intense, but still very much there.

I got an MRI of the lumbar spine, and everything showed up fine. I went to a phsycial therapist, and she did alot of feeling around, and said she cannot find anything wrong either.

Now since joining these forums last week, I read that people take 3000-5000mcg's of vitamin B12, and since they are water soluable, you cant really overdose. So Wednesday/Thursday and Friday of last week, I started doubling up on my B12. And Incidently, my hip/buttocks pain got really really bad!

I was so fustraited, thinking "what do i do the aggravate this?". Then I realized well I did take much more B12 then usual. Then I thought back when this all started, and I did start taking B12 just 2 days prior to when this all started.

I decided to stop taking the B12 Vitamins, just for a week, just to see what will happened. And I cant believe it, the pain is going away! On a scale from 1 to 10, the pain was as high as 7 in January.. After the Injectinos were over, and stayed on the oral B12, the pain always constantly stayed at a 3-4. And Now 3 Days after not taking any.. My pain is a .5 - 1.

How strange is this?!? Has anyone heard of something like this? I tell some of my friends, and they look at me like i'm nuts! This is obviously a very rare reaction, and makes me get worried if there is something wrong w/ me... I dont know

If anyone has ever heard of Taking an excess amount of vitamin b12, causing aches and pains - let me know! Thanks!! - Jason
Jay1980 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote