Thread: living with PN
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 02:09 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have been a type 2 diabetic since 1996 and always denied or ignored the tingling needle like sensation for years. My diabetes was never controlled nor did I make any effort to control it. Shame on me. I have regretted this horrible and find myself stuck on step 2. In August I finally lost total feeling in both my feet and the neuropathy has now progressed to both of my legs.
I worked up until August then left on short term disability then long term disability. When I was approved for my long term disability the company I was working for for over 8 years let me go. So now I am unemployed but collecting LTD benefits until 2011.

The most difficult part for me is the pain. I have not found the right combination of medication so that I can be some what productive right now days and nights are spent in my bedroom in the bed or on this computer researching and trying to find tips to help me. I have found this site and it has been a blessing because you will find people around you don't have a clue about the disease or the affects it will have on you pain wise, physically and mentally.

I have not fully accepted it. I hate leaving the house for anything, hobbling around stores looking for places to sit down to rest taking hours for one simple task..I hate it and it frustrates me.
I was a athletic mom very active in my sports I have 5 children the youngest a miracle baby 2 yr old and know to realize that she will be short changed having a mother that is not able to move around, be in a pleasant mood etc... it sadden me deeply..My husband was laid off in January and just got another job he starts shortly..Now I dread him leaving me alone now. I forget alot ie., leaving the stove on, running water in kitchen sink etc..(due to very high dose of gabapentin) I am going to stop venting now...

I wish you luck and hope you are in the early stages because they say nerves can be regenerated if caught early.
COLBEYMOORE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
amit (03-18-2009)