View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 10:43 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotte View Post
Thanks for that.
I'd never heard of high histamine levels affecting such things as sleep.
I've been trying to sort my sleep out for a long time. Also, I'm a pretty easily stressed person, and have been for the last 4 years or so (death of a parent, birth of a child, long-term sickness of other parent). It's taken it out of me, and now I'm starting to pay, phisically. I've had ulcers, some high blood pressure, a bizarre blister on my macula (which is stress related, apparently), I get bouts of terminal insomnia (as mentioned).
I went to a nutritionalist, who tried B vits, choline, inostol, and magnesium (among other things).
The magnesium was the thing that I most pinned my hopes on, as I seemed to have a lot of symptoms of excess cortisol.
But that said, I still wake up at nights (pretty much every night), and I still find myself easilly stressed and anxious.
I'm interested in seeing more on high histamines.
Out of the list I can get 7 definates and another 5 possibles.
Trouble is, I looked it up on Wikipedia, and I also have some of the symptoms they describe for low histamines. Hmmm, now I'm confused. Can it be tested for?
Some people can find it confusing to figure out which one they are. A simple test you may try is to buy some niacin 50 mg. (nicotinic acid niacin which causes the flushing). If you flush from only 50 mg. of niacin then you are a high histamine type. You can try some aspirin or some amylase or calcium to counter the flushing which you may find uncomfortable. (You will probably never use that 50 mg. nicotinic acid supplement again since you sound like a histadelic, so you might consider the blood test option.)

You can also ask your doctor to do whole blood histamine levels. This blood level may not change when do supplement the right nutrients even though you feel the difference. So this blood test is not good to try as a follow up but good to use in the beginning (and even if you have started to supplement some of those nutrients).

But you are right about magnesium. Histadelics need magnesium, calcium and methionine to lower histamine levels. Some people will actually find that SAMe works better in the beginning. (SAMe contains methionine and seems to work better than methionine at least in the beginning.) I don't recommend that you do this yourself without getting some help from a professional. You might try the test and some supplements, but you should really get a nutritionally oriented doctor to help you going forward. Otherwise you could end up with some other deficiencies or excesses.

Histadelics need to avoid folic acid and nicotinic acid. (Folic acid may make you feel depressed or weird.) You should supplement niacinamide though. So taking a multi-vitamin or a b-complex is not recommended at least not until you get your histamine levels balanced. Unfortunately no company makes a multi-vitamin product for histadelics to use.

I am not surprised that you have high blood pressure and ulcers. Histadelics tend to produce too much stomach acid and do need magnesium supplements because they are hyperactive usually. You could also be prone to diabetes at some point because you need sulfur. Sulfur is used by the body to make insulin. Methionine is a sulfur containing amino acid.

Balancing your histamine levels will likely insure that your homocysteine levels don't get too high. Your body gets rid of histamine through methylation (and sulfation). When methylation is faulty you can develop lots of problems. When sulfation is not working you can develop problems with sulfites building up in your body which you may not have a problem with until you take some sulfa drugs.

I don't think a nutritionist will understand this concept since it is mainly treated by an orthomolecular approach. Finding someone with this kind of training can be difficult, but may be possible.

If you want to ask more questions, feel free to PM if that is easier for you.
orthomolecular is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote