View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default L Tryptophan issues

New member, and my first post. I came here because of a problem - I took
L Tryptophan for the last 3 years or so to combat depression and anxiety, and it worked better than any prescription drug I've ever tried. The problem is, I've developed an intolerance to it - if I take it, I can't sleep. I get extremely tired, but there's an undercurrent of nervousness that won't allow me to relax. It's a strange combination of feeling drowsy and wired that's extremely unpleasant...
the more I take, the worse it gets. Even if I take as little as 100mg, i can't sleep.
A couple of years ago I noticed that my heart rate would pick up right after I took my customary 1500mg each night, but I'd drop off to sleep shortly thereafter. It wasn't much of a problem until about a year ago, when I had a pretty severe cold. I made the mistake of taking an antihistamine followed by my usual 1500mg of L Tryptophan, and my brain just exploded... I couldn't sleep for about 4 days I was so overstimulated - I finally got some sleeping pills that knocked me out. Since then, I haven't been able to tolerate L Tryptophan. I've tried 3 times over the last year, with little success.
Does this kind of thing ring a bell with anyone? I've never heard of anyone having this sort of reaction.
Incidentally - my system does seem to be pretty sensitive to medication, and in a very unusual way. I self-medicated with GHB for a year or so, and while it makes most people sleep, it made me just wired - my pulse just exploded. I also tried GABA for a bit, and the same thing - wired, restless, couldn't sleep.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Qman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote