View Single Post
Old 03-19-2009, 11:09 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I'd talk to the doctor if it was an unusual event.
Hard to say if it was just a different type of aura. You wrote "It wasn't related to 1 eye either. I tried closing 1 eye and then the other to see if it only appeared in 1 eye. It was in both."

I've had migraines since my mid 30's. These days they are few and far between. I often wondered if mine were related to homonal changes as well as some other more obvious things like stress, predisposition etc..

I sometimes get migraine auras without the migraine headache. Weird thing is I get an aura/weird feeling prior to the actual visual scotoma beginning.

I used to have this amazing website that showed heaps and heaps of different types of visual auras. It was astounding. I'll try to find it later if I can.

I have a great book too called "Migraine" by Oliver Sacks. It's got some great pics in there too. There are so many different types. I get a zigzag scotoma that lasts about 20 minutes. During that time the zigzag starts very small and over the time gets larger and larger. It is pretty scary and sometimes in the beginning, I thought I was having some sort of stroke myself. I can't do anything while that is happening. If it comes on when I'm driving, I have to pull over and wait till it's gone.

There are circular scotoma and tunnels and some people notice a change in perception... e.g. objects appear to be larger than usual in a room. Some people get a mosiac vision... like everything is pixelated.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that I had a bubble on my retina once. It wasn't caused by an injury or anything. I was pregnant with my first child when it happened just out of the blue. It caused me to have a flashing light constantly just off to the side of my vision... but that was only in the one eye, not both.

I need to get some more magnesium into me too. Thanks for the reminder.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (03-20-2009)