View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 08:20 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Question. "Topical Vit D compounds"?

Hello.

I watched this show on tv here recently.
http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/2514231.htm
Catalyst - Vitamin D.

Note that it is an Australian programme and is obviously based on our Australian weather conditions. We (my state Queensland in particular) used to have the highest rate of melanoma in the world. I think New Zealand does now which surprised me. (maybe it's the hole in the ozone. Seriously.)

They mentioned "Vitamin D compounds used topically". Topically means something that is applied to the skin as far as I know. Is there a product like that available?

Edited later to add: I forgot the rest of my question. lol
If there was something topical, then would it be strong enough to raise levels if they were too low?
Would topical only give the skin the protection?
What about all the other conditions that are implicated with low Vit D. levels?
Would topical help raise levels high enough to help or would it need to be ingested?

Quote:
Prof. Rebecca Mason:
What we've shown is that Vitamin D compounds used topically both in human skin and in animals reduce UV induced DNA damage and in animals reduces the immuno suppression and the skin cancers. We think that this reflects a natural protection in the skin that Vitamin D is giving you.
Would love to read any comments about the programme from people if they have the time.

We get such mixed messages in this climate. One day it's cover up because of skin damage, next it's get out there in the sun. I think they made some valid points regarding older people and people who've already dealt with melanoma here.

I've read so much posted over the years in different places but the information was coming from countries with much lower temperatures and long dark winters. Don't have that here. Totally different conditions.

thanks.

Last edited by Lara; 03-20-2009 at 08:46 AM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote