View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default 2 Year Anniversary of Having RSD

Hi everyone,

Today is my 2nd Anniversary of having RSD. It's hard to believe that it has been 2 years exactly since the day I fell and sprained my ankle - some days it feels like a lifetime ago whilst on other days, it feels like it was just yesterday.

It's been a pretty tough day so far for me. I'm in a pain flare from the Vacation to Vegas and I don't think the emotions of having to deal with my Anniversary have helped much. Still, i'm trying to focus on the positives though and realise that I have come a long way since I first developed RSD. I am no where near better and deal with pain of an 8 and a half on the pain scale on a daily basis, my leg is rotated and nothing I try willl help it, I am dealing with what I suspect to be another spread to my left arm (I see my PT's on Tuesday to discuss that) and my limbs turn red and blue and spasm all the time BUT in some respects, I have come a long way!

This time last year, I couldn't walk and was wheelchair bound as my legs would just shoot out in front of me whenever I tried to walk and I would fall to the ground. My mum and dad had to literally carry me everywhere I went and it made simple tasks extremely difficult. I then went onto the Intense Physical Therapy Program in London and the PT's there learnt me how to walk again. Yes, I still deal with LOTS of pain on a daily basis and I have to use my wheelchair long distances BUT I can get around the house and school now and for that, I am extremely grateful as some people aren't so lucky!!

I have learnt a lot since developing RSD and I feel it has made me a stronger person. I have dealt with sooo many emotions and tough times and have felt like giving in more times than enough but I am still here and trying to "cope" and live my life to the best of my ability, even though I have lots of limitations.

Have I fully accpeted that I have RSD?? OMG, no way!! I don't think I will ever be able to fully accept that I have RSD but I have learnt to try and get on with life, even though it is extremely hard sometimes when I cant do things that normal teenagers do. I have learnt not to take everything for granted and I am truly grateful for everything that I can do, despite the limitations that may be involved.

So even though today is tough and upsetting for me, I am trying my darn hardest not to focus on the negatives and to focus on the things that I CAN do!

Here's hoping that the next year will see the remission of my RSD and that I will be able to live a normal, pain-free live and do all of the things that I want to do!

Thanks for listening!
Alison
Twinkletoes (03-29-2009)