View Single Post
Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile Planting roses in sand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardengrl View Post
Ohhh, I'm going to love it here!!! Thanks for this thread, this is my passion! So so so excited, like a silly little kid!
I tell my DH, don't buy me jewelry, make-up, kitchen stuff, for my birthday....just buy me pallets of rock, dirt, & plants.

I do have one question on the dang roses....I live in the sandhills of NC. NOTHING but sand. I have planted quite a few roses, none do good. I have tried planting directly into the sand, also amending it with organic matter, all the way to opening up a 40lb bag of compost garden soil & poking holes into it at the bottom, bury the whole bag & plant in that...But the BEST roses I have are the ones I accidently left in their pot, inside a rubber container that is filled with rainwater Most the time?? Those are some "wet feet"

Why? Will this last? It's been 2 years now & plan on leaving it there as a test!
Dear Gardengrl, Go on-line and type planting roses in sand. There are many websites on the subject. Maybe there are only certain varieties that do well in sand. Check it out, and happy planting!
cindyd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
gardengrl (03-21-2009)