View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 01:06 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Functional Electrical Stimulation (FES)

Hi Sally and others, thanks for the answers

The MS Society monthly newsletter was the Australian MS Society issue that has just been published. It has a whole page on "Foot Drop and Functional Electrical Stimulation". I found this to be hugely hopeful as when I search it on the internet, there are a number of requirements and I fit them all.

It is interesting that my neurologist (located in the MS Clinic of a major hospital here) hadnt heard anything about it. But the article does say to talk to a physiotherapist about it so that's my next step. In the meantime I have sent my neuro lots of links for him to take a look at.

From what I can gather, this treatment seems to have been in the UK/USA for several years and I was hoping to get more info on it. The Walkaide is stated as costing $3000 and the Bioness $8,000 here. I realise these are large amounts, but will have to weight up pros and cons before making any decision regarding it.

The best pro will be that 'normal' shoes can be worn again! That's after being able to work 'properly'.

Once again, thanks for all your replies

Sharon
sha aus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (03-24-2009)