View Single Post
Old 03-21-2009, 06:03 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I think you need to go to the doctor sooner, personally.

I know how severe your ticcing can be and I had hoped you'd gone the day before yesterday.

There are quite a number of reported cases of cervical myelopathy caused by severe motor tics in the literature.

For your hand, try anything you can possibly do to help redirect that complex movement. Have you tried that soft stress ball thing I suggested? Tie it to the palm of your hand with a bandage even. Some people might find that restricting movement will make them tic more. If so, then don't continue, but other people find that it does help.

You've had these neck tics forever. You used to wear a neck brace from time to time. Have you tried that lately?

PubMed
Mov Disord. 1996 Sep;11(5):563-6.
Severe motor tics causing cervical myelopathy in Tourette's syndrome.
Krauss JK, Jankovic J.

Quote:
This report draws attention to the possibility that some tics can produce disabling compressive myelopathy. Early diagnosis and treatment of the movement disorder is essential in such cases.

PubMed
Childs Nerv Syst. 2002 Apr;18(3-4):191-4. Epub 2002 Mar 9.

Myelopathy caused by tics in an adolescent, associated with T2 signal intensity changes of the spinal cord.

Muroi A, Matsumura A, Asakawa H, Enomoto T, Iwasaki N, Nose T.
Quote:
It is possible that movement disorders such as tics may contribute to the development of cervical myelopathy owing to the effects of involuntary movements on the neck.
I have more somewhere else too from years back, but that'll just give you an idea perhaps and get you to a doctor faster.

EDITED LATER (after wakeup coffee) to ADD:

Note the term "rarely"... I didn't want to frighten you too much, Moi. (Well, maybe just a little lol)

Quote:
Cervical myelopathy secondary to violent tics of Tourette's syndrome
M Dobbs, JR Berger - Neurology, 2003 - AAN Enterprises
Tic disorders are a rarely reported cause of cervical myelopathy. 1-4 Cervical
myelopathy occurring in association with tics has typically been attributed to
damage caused by violent and frequent neck flexion movements 4 or twisting...
Scholar

Try those epsom salt baths too, Moi.
I wouldn't try anything like chiropractic until you find out what's going on.
My son had some relief with osteopathy though. Didn't involve manipulations.

Hopefully the waxing stage will be over soon. In the meantime you need to try to lower your stress levels and get some healthy food and supplements into you to help destress. Easier said than done, I know.

Last edited by Lara; 03-21-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Lara is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (03-22-2009), barbo (03-23-2009), DM (03-22-2009), mistiis (04-18-2009), mrsD (03-22-2009), tamiloo (06-06-2009), who moi (03-22-2009)