View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 01:12 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused New-Frantic-CIPD? Need Input!

Hi,
I've been reading the posts here. I'm actually in the MG forum, but recently saw a new neuro who mentioned polyneuropathies as a possible dx for my second, previously just guessed at, dx.

I looked up GOBS of PNs, and the CIPD fits EVERYTHING that is not the Myasthenia Gravis. It's been around for at least 14 years, but they all thought either I was crazy, or some said leftover symptoms from a cord compression in 1996. Long story but I'm believing it was never cord compression.

Anyway, now I'm feeling a real sense of urgency here. This is progressing way to fast during this particular flare up. I had an unruptured brain aneurysm coiled (platinum coils) on 1/28/09. Woke up in my room with a large white hole in the vision on my right eye which has stayed but fluctuates. My second day home from the procedure, everything went to pot.

Myasthenia weakness kicked up, then the numbness, pain, tingling and muscle spasms started up. My muscles are already showing some atrophy, and I am having a swallowing problem with COLD fluids - with Myasthenia cold helps the swallowing.

Research on I-net is indicating that platinum is BAD for CIDP - it's listed as a toxic cause of CIDP, but I don't know if the coils could leach enough into my system?

RE: The eye thing - the opthalmalogist said it definetly isn't a brain stroke as the neurosurgeon thought, it isn't glaucoma or retinal problems - he really doesn't know what it is. I discovered that demyeliniating process can cause this blind spot though.

I haven't been "formally" dx , but I think that's just because the new neuro hasn't had a chance to review all my old stuff yet. I have an evoked potential that indicated demyeliniation clear back in 1997, and they thought they would find MS on me, but never have - decided on the cord compression back then.

As I said - I've researched a lot of conditions, syndromes, etc. and nothing has every fit like CIDP for all the symptoms and the progression I have experienced all these years.

My big worry is with the platinum. I found some case studies where people had the occular thing occur with the platinum coil procedure and 2 of them DIED within 3 months due to respiratory complications (they didn't mention previous CIDP in them - probably just didn't know about it). I am experiencing some breathing problems which could either be my MG or ???

I need someone with experience in the progression of long standing CIDP to help me with determining if what I'm experiencing now may be in hyper-drive, or is just kind of how it goes.

Thanks a bunch.