Old 03-22-2009, 07:39 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreink View Post
So.. for us insomniac feebleminds, is melatonin good for sleep?

Sleep is always a problem for me, I normally cant fall asleep until well passed midnight, then I wake several times before getting up at 6.

Before Diabetes I slept like the dead, in college I regularly slept through fire alarms in my dorm.

Now, I have trouble falling asleep and staying asleep. I thought maybe because I had my blood sugars under control and had lost weight that I just had excess energy, but I also have PN and pain sometimes keeps me up.
Are you taking metformin for the diabetes?
Metformin depletes B12 and folic acid.

Are you a Type II diabetic? If so what drugs do you take?
Or are you Type I and use insulin?

B12 and some other supplements have been shown very helpful in diabetics of both types with neuropathy.

MethylB12 (the active form) is a cofactor in the enzyme that
makes melatonin from serotonin in the brain. So if B12 is low, you get little or any melatonin to help you sleep and regulate your circadian hormone cycles daily.
SSRI antidepressants, beta blockers for blood pressure and NSAIDs also affect melatonin status.

So while the basic answer is yes to your question, a better answer to is find out what is going on with you and fix THAT as well.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (03-22-2009)