Old 03-22-2009, 09:46 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink ooohhh..

I didn't get to save much last year.. in fact I had to buy some
from Ebay.

But... If I get alot of allium's... do you want some? I can save those heads. They are easy to grow from seed but take 2-3 years to get the big heads. I discovered this a few years ago.
I deadheaded many so the bulbs would not deplete and threw the heads behind a tree across the street. I also did the same in
the back yard. And then one year we were greeted with a huge volunteer stand of them where I discarded the seed heads!

Considering what they cost per bulb in the stores (around $5 each) it is worth a try. So this year I bought a hybrid seed from Ebay and have them in the frig for cold stratification.

If they sprout, I will try the other half (I bought 50)

So anyone here who wants allium seed--- I'll save them for you this season!
http://www.bellewood-gardens.com/Bel...t%20Allium.jpg
I am not sure my seeds will be this big...but they are close and very nice anyway! There are several types. The ones I have in the frig are these biggies. But those won't bloom for 2 seasons if they germinate for me.

I can also save Rose Campion....My husband can dead head the first wave before he comes up on vacation to join me.
http://muskogeephoenixonline.com/blo...ion-785851.jpg
It is the hot pink/red flower in this picture. It is semi wild looking and fits in nicely height wise and type if you like wild flower effects.
This is my favorite and easy from seed too. Will self sow if conditions are right. I had to buy more seed this season, but we can try and save ours for anyone here.
I grew 8 plants on vacation last summer and there is a picture of them in my profile album with a toad who was living in one of the pots! I brought these 8 home and put them in my front garden, which is also in the profile pictures. I have a couple of the Campion posted there too. They are very hardy, can stand dry conditions, and will rebloom if you dead head them. And if you do NOT deadhead them treat them as biennials. I have a few coming back this spring that are 3 yrs old now...so dead heading extends them nicely. I used to replant all the time, from seed. All of my campions came from 2 plants I bought at a nursery as an experiment about 5 yrs ago. I really like them.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (03-30-2009)