View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 01:26 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi again.

I was just started on the prednisone about a month ago due to the MG weakness.

My scotoma is a white or very gray spot. I didn't have an angiogram on it - just the ophalmologist visits where he checked for signs of brain stroke, glaucoma, retina problems (all neg) and he did the vision field test which is what really threw him. Actually, I have had intermittent pain in my eyes for years that has increased in the last year or so. Mostly when looking at something close like when I'm lighting a smoke. So I really think this scotoma has its start prior to the coil and just got way bad after, like all my other symptoms.

I just saw something on the inet that oral B-12 won't help much with a certain condition - unfortunately I don't remember the exact info, but it came up while I was researching this platinum/demyeliniation/CIPD stuff.

I can't wait to get the results on the b-12 test. As I understand it though, if it shows I'm deficient, that's not necessarily gonna get me off the hook on this CIDP thing though, is it. It's a possible cause of PN, but with this long a run, I'm kinda in a bad place, right?

Again - Thanks so much for all your efforts on my behalf. And I LOVED the link to the quotes - see the one I've added to my signature!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
drugs drugs and more drugs.... that is my history!

You are on some major drugs!
I'll post later---the depletions that just the prednisone cause!
I have some things I have to do this afternoon, but I'll be back.

But I see some things I need to bring to your attention that are quick...

1) Antidepressants in the SSRI family increase bleeding. They have warnings on them now for use with aspirin and/or most NSAIDs--excluding Celebrex.

2) Do you have your blood sugar monitored with that prednisone dose? Pred can raise blood sugar...and also raise blood pressure. Are both of these monitored by your doctor?

You know I had a stroke in my left eye, that was silent, and later attributed to a highly stressful work event, that raised my blood pressure that caused it. My symptoms were pain in the eye--a dull ache, a headache. That night I had a black hole in my central and lower fields in dim light, but in light it was a violet shadow.
I had angiograms in both eyes a few days later, which was when this was beginning to clear. The upshot was a hemorrhage from a blockage in the right branch vein of the retina. It cleared up by itself, and never came back. The blood backed up and burst into my retina and caused a large "bruise".
Hence the violet color.

Did you have an angiogram to evaluate that blank spot?

I also think you should take 1000mcg of the B12 daily at least on an empty stomach. If this is an optic neuritis, maybe even MORE per day. Were you taking the B12 when the test was done? It might skew the results if so.

I'd also ask the doctor if you had any events while under...like a cardiac arrest? I had a patient who had a bypass and she had an event during the restart of the blood supply after they were finished, and she lost the vision in one eye as a result.
(these are called scotomas).

I'll be back later...