View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 04:13 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
That is a great quote. I like most of his in fact. They are true, some funny, and even if not funny, they still have a shred of hope attached to them.

Here is the list for Prednisone:

Calcium
Magnesium
Potassium
Selenium
Zinc
Folic acid
Vitamin D
Vitamin C

A month is long enough at this high dose, to deplete potassium.
When that happens, then you get WEAKNESS. Now this may be hard to separate out from your MG symptoms. So eating foods high in potassium is a must. Next blood draw ask for a test for levels to make sure.

Also the new information about Vitamin D is important. It might be affecting your disease states. You can be tested for this too.
And since Prednisone depletes it, you will get behind anyway.
We have a new thread on Vitamin forum with an interesting video from Australia that Lara put up:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread81900.html
I think the dose for maintenance they state is deceptive, for most people. Esp those who don't get tested. Also there is alot of sun down there, and if you live in a Northern area 1000IU a day is not much. I take 4000IU in winter now, and none in summer.
That is working for me well. D3.

Mestinon is not studied enough/used enough to have a recommendation about nutrient depletions.

I would ask for a retinal angiogram, and get one unless you don't have insurance, or access for some reason. It is definitive for vascular vs neuro causes.

Metaprolol depletes CoQ-10 and melatonin. It may be masking some blood pressure increases from the pred, and may be masking glucose changes from it as well. It can hide diabetes effects.

B12 is involved in myelination, along with B6 and folate. Fish oil also helps. Fish oil has anti-inflammatory effects as well. So it might help your vascular worries. It strengthens blood vessels.

For now the potassium is the biggest worry. Vit D a concern and the other minerals you can get from a Centrum Senior.
As you continue, Magnesium also is important. Low levels cause vasoconstriction, and you can get this from food too, or
supplements. I have a thread on it:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1138

Make sure your doctors who are giving that aspirin + Plavix understand the increased dosing of Effexor. Some doctors don't know SSRIs increase bleeding!

Tomorrow I'll look around about the platinum.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote