View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 10:24 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho View Post
I would be very careful with the Travacor. It contains 5-HTP. Too much 5-HTP can cause serotonin syndrome which can be deadly.
I wouldn't be terribly concerned about that - the NeuroScience test measures the levels of serotonin (among many other nuerotransmitters) in the brain, then prescribes dosages of 5-htp, 7-Keto DHEA, and etc... that are appropriate for the situation. They don't just say "you're low on serotonin, take as much 5-htp as you can get your hands on."

I'm wondering about this serotonin syndrome, particularly as it relates to 5-htp. I've always understood 5-htp as being nothing more that a precursor to serotonin, and have been told (though this was some time ago) that any 5-htp ingested above and beyond what the body needs (within reason, anyway) will just not be converted into serotonin and get flushed out of the system. This part of the 5-htp wikipedia page says that it requires other drugs to be taken at the same time in order for the serotonin syndrome to arise... what've you heard on it?
PCS McGee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (03-23-2009)