View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 10:29 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Second Impact Syndrome

Mikeyy,

I hate to rain on your parade but you chiropractor may be great at chiropractic but he does not understand the physiology of concussion.

There is no way of avoiding second impact syndrome. You are not fully healed. There have been many studies since the 1970's to show this fact. One was reported on in the British literature, I think it was vini's post.

He may help you through the minor issues of getting hit while playing hockey but you still have a history of concussion.

The most important concern you should have is a game where you have multiple light hits. They can be more damaging than one bad hit. The soccer studies have shown that to be true. A soccer heading drill with many light headers is often more damaging that the occasional hard header.

Interesting that your chiro called it Low level laser therapy. My wife has been treated with light therapy. It sounds exactly the same, a light in a spectrum that penetrates the skin without heating the skin but provides an ultra-sonic like stimulation to the tissues except using light waves rather than sound waves.

One of the big benefits I believe can come out of chiropractic therapy for a head injury is indirect. By improving the alignment of the spine, especially the cervical spine, blood flow to the brain in improved. The vertebral arteries can be partially obstructed by cervical inflammation. When the chiropractor reduces this inflammation, the brain gets better profusion and gets a better chance to heal.

BTW, I am in the Boise area. I have a house about ten miles west of Boise airport right under the flight path. I prefer to be at my mountain cabin that is 100 miles due north of my city home on the 45 parallel.

The people are real nice here. Regarding my earlier comment about raining on your parade, I guess you are used to rain living in Vancouver. Pretty area if you can survive the Canadian health system.

"Be still and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
Mark in Idaho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Lara (03-23-2009)