Thread: Need your help
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 08:39 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelodyL View Post

We had him in counseling most of his life because of his disruptive behavior in school when he was 6 or so. One therapist told us "he needs to feel loved, so go out and buy him all new clothes". We did. Nothing changed.

I believe in accountability. He has never been accountable for anything he has done after he moved away home. They have given him EVERYTHING.

Yesterday he emailed me saying "Just wanted you to know that I am home and that a friend in Second Life is wiring me $40 to cover me for the month, and thank god that I have friends in Second Life".

I asked him "What did you learn from losing everything in Vegas" and he replied; "I learned never to go back unless I'm rich because Vegas will eat me alive".

He wrote me back "If I could not gamble, I would ...

We deserve to be happy.

Melody

Mel

Sounds like you've been through the ringer with your son. I'm sorry that he's been manipulative of you, your husband and your emotions. It's tough. It also sounds like he didn't learn his lesson about Vegas----after all a recovered gambling addict wouldn't tell you that they need to be rich to not lose their shirt?

What is Second Life all about anyhow? Sounds like enabling of poor choices and decisions, no?

As far as all the dx's except the aspy one, very, very typical. You mention GA, is that the state where he went through the educational system? I find it amazing how very different all 50 States can be when it comes to learning disabilities, etc. With the focus on something being 'wrong' with a childs personality just seems/feels so very wrong to me. At least with aspy/autism the focus can state, hey, there is something wrong neurologically, then modify behavior from there....less pressure on child's self-esteem/worth, if that makes sense....

(I know, I digress....my middle son has a developmental delay, at 3yr that's as far as a dx goes...I know what I believe him to have, but am letting time and patience play a hand at this stage...doing my research about what was troubling led me to find that clip about aspergers and personality disorders....when I find that again, I'll pm you the link if interested?)

I'm glad to see you hanging in there

"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (03-23-2009)