Thread: Need your help
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hey Mel! I was looking over New Posts and saw your thread. Every sentence you wrote, lured me to read on. Do I know anything about addictions or gambling? No, not alot, but I can say that I think the way you have opened your raw emotions here is very brave and I think, good therapy for you.

As parents' we are always looking for that sign that our decisions about our children are the ''right'' ones. Your son is not a child, as parents' they are always our kids. In your situation, I couldn't begin to give you advice, but it seems you have tried everything imaginable to help your DS, yet he refuses your help. Why? B/C he doesn't want help; he just wants to feed his addiction. I almost felt your pain as I read on. Your'e hurting b/c he's your son and you know that there is a better life for him out there; yet he rejects it. What can you do? I don't think there's anything more you CAN do.

People who choose to be self destructive, rejecting help and living the merry go round lifestyle that he is living, probably won't change. I just feel so bad for you and Alan. As I get older, I have the mindset that for every action~ there is a reaction. I used to give a few dollars to a homeless guy in another town, who would stand by an intersection holding a sign declaring he was a homeless Vet. I later found out that he used all the money donated to him for alcohol and cigarettes, plus he had a home AND wasn't even a Vet!!!

I was duped and have since learned to keep my car window rolled up.

You have to keep your car window rolled up, Mel.

I thank you for sharing your story, as the pain you and Alan have gone through is evident. But, if one parent, child, friend or addictive person sees this thread and is helped by it, then you are to be applauded.

I will keep you and Alan in my prayers.....

"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (03-23-2009), Twinkletoes (03-23-2009)