View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 09:25 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreink View Post
Same here, I just couldnt tolerate it at all and switched to Lantus, my dad on the other hand can handle it just fine.
I have always wondered why some people can take metformin (with no gastro side effects), and others have to LIVE IN THE BATHROOM.

I never could go out anywhere while I took that stuff.

Lantus literally gave me back my life.

No one likes to give themselves a shot of anything, this I know.

I will never forget the first time my doctor tried to show me how to use Lantus.

He got a sample of the vial, he got a clean syringe and he went through the steps (of course, not injecting me, this was BEFORE I was able to give myself a shot), This was an instructional lesson in my primary care guy's office.

He told me "Let's get you off of all this oral crap and on something that's good".

I said" "Well, show me how I can give myself an injection"

He said "here, it's very simple, and then he took the vial, took an alcohol swab, swabbed the top of the vial (telling me, now it's ready).

The he took the tip off the syringe, pressed the plunger in the vial and pressed it all the way down, to get any air out of the it,, turned the vial upside down, pulled back the syring, putting 10 units in the syringe, and took out the syringe, and looked at me and said:

"See how simple, now you do it".

I looked at him, burst out laughing and said: "HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND, I COULDN'T POSSIBLY DO WHAT YOU JUST DID, ....AND HOW MANY STEPS DID THIS TAKE YOU?????"

He calmly did it again. I couldn't get it for the life of me.

I then took the prescription for the Lantus, some syringes, went home, got it filled, went online to lantus.com, and watched their video (over and over), until I got the steps right. I wrote down the steps and followed them religiously every single day.

Then exactly one week later I enrolled in the Accord program and it's been 4 years.

I could give myself an injection blindfolded. It took me about a week before I realized it's like riding a bike. Once you do this every day, you don't forget it.

Now those Star pen thingees, well, I went to a seminar on those things.

After viewing the demo, I said "forget it, it's easier to give myself a shot".

The lady kept priming it, and changing the barrel (or some such thing).

I know me. Giving myself a shot with the syringe is easier. I've done it so many times, it's nothing.

But I'll never forget telling my doctor "Are you crazy, I can't do this".

lol Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote