Thread: Need your help
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

You know, Mel, I bet you are booked out!

But this one is really good. And it even uses some humor to get its points across.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NEo...um=4&ct=result

Instead of approaching the problems draining people have academically, this book explains how these emotional vampires get YOU and how YOU can minimize the damage.
Antisocial
Narcissistic
Histrionic
Paranoid
Compulsive

Are the ones explained, with real life examples. It doesn't go into WHY, but instead has HOW to deal.
Perhaps your library will have this? Or used on Amazon?

It is a very readable book. You will find people you know in it, and I can say I have read it 3 times now, when I am confronted with problematic people in my life.

One basic fact that is very important that I learned in it, is that people who are extreme, who USE manipulative traits to get what they want, are really addicts. They are addicted to the rush they get from their own behaviors of the neurotransmitters that they are low on. Gamblers for example are going for dopamine primarily. But others may be auto releasing norepi, or oxytocin...etc. Therapy as we know it, talk therapy may fail with these people, since talk is cheap and does nothing for them. It is their particular "rush" they are after.

I really recommend this book to anyone who has extreme people they have to deal with. I know I recommend books alot and people's eyes may glaze over, but this one is exceptional!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
"Thanks for this!" says:
DM (03-24-2009), GladysD (03-29-2009), Twinkletoes (03-24-2009)