View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 07:32 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
You know, Mel, I bet you are booked out!

But this one is really good. And it even uses some humor to get its points across.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NEo...um=4&ct=result

Instead of approaching the problems draining people have academically, this book explains how these emotional vampires get YOU and how YOU can minimize the damage.
Antisocial
Narcissistic
Histrionic
Paranoid
Compulsive

Are the ones explained, with real life examples. It doesn't go into WHY, but instead has HOW to deal.
Perhaps your library will have this? Or used on Amazon?

It is a very readable book. You will find people you know in it, and I can say I have read it 3 times now, when I am confronted with problematic people in my life.

One basic fact that is very important that I learned in it, is that people who are extreme, who USE manipulative traits to get what they want, are really addicts. They are addicted to the rush they get from their own behaviors of the neurotransmitters that they are low on. Gamblers for example are going for dopamine primarily. But others may be auto releasing norepi, or oxytocin...etc. Therapy as we know it, talk therapy may fail with these people, since talk is cheap and does nothing for them. It is their particular "rush" they are after.

I really recommend this book to anyone who has extreme people they have to deal with. I know I recommend books alot and people's eyes may glaze over, but this one is exceptional!

Ah my dear Mrs. D. Thinking about me as usual.

You're a doll!!

I shall look into this book.

I also, never knew about the "rush" you were talking about.

But, ON A MORE POSITIVE FUN NOTE, I was contacted (by Facebook of all places, which I DO NOT FREQUENT), but where I have my profile, well, friends from almost 40 years ago found me.

I got several emails from gals I used to ride the Express bus to work with YEARS AGO.

Imagine my getting an email form Linda and it says "hi Melody, this is Linda, remember me?? " and I'm saying to myself "who the heck is Linda, I KNOW A LINDA???"

Well, upon further reading, the BINGO went off and it was one of the crew that I used to hang with when I was around 24 to age 32.

We did EVERYTHING together, from Discos, to late suppers, to them coming over to my apartment (way before I married, and I was the ONLY GAL WHO HAD AN APARTMENT, THE REST LIVED WITH THEIR PARENTS...

And I would cook my famous chicken dinners. Oh, the memories.

We are now corresponding, and they saw my youtube videos, and they said "wow, look at you".

I'm now trying to coax them to share photos of themselves.

This is so much fun.

It's like a window to the past (the better past I mean).

I am looking forward now to phone calls from them, and maybe videos.

And get this. some of them have relatives with Aspergers, and they ALL have heard of Aspergers.

Will wonders never cease??

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
DM (03-24-2009), GladysD (03-29-2009), SandyC (03-25-2009), Twinkletoes (03-25-2009)