View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 07:50 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
You know, Mel, I bet you are booked out!

But this one is really good. And it even uses some humor to get its points across.

http://books.google.com/books?id=NEo...um=4&ct=result

Instead of approaching the problems draining people have academically, this book explains how these emotional vampires get YOU and how YOU can minimize the damage.
Antisocial
Narcissistic
Histrionic
Paranoid
Compulsive

Are the ones explained, with real life examples. It doesn't go into WHY, but instead has HOW to deal.
Perhaps your library will have this? Or used on Amazon?

It is a very readable book. You will find people you know in it, and I can say I have read it 3 times now, when I am confronted with problematic people in my life.

One basic fact that is very important that I learned in it, is that people who are extreme, who USE manipulative traits to get what they want, are really addicts. They are addicted to the rush they get from their own behaviors of the neurotransmitters that they are low on. Gamblers for example are going for dopamine primarily. But others may be auto releasing norepi, or oxytocin...etc. Therapy as we know it, talk therapy may fail with these people, since talk is cheap and does nothing for them. It is their particular "rush" they are after.

I really recommend this book to anyone who has extreme people they have to deal with. I know I recommend books alot and people's eyes may glaze over, but this one is exceptional!

Mrs. D.

I went to the link, and read the whole preview. I had NEVER heard of this terminology before. EMOTIONAL VAMPIRES.

That is indeed MY SON!!

There are various editions up on Ebay. One is an older version for under $5.00 with $3.00 shipping and the others are around $12 or so.

Are these the same book?

I mean, they have different covers.

Let me know.

I am definitely going to buy this book.

but you know what scares me? This guy Bernstein describes EVERY PERSON ON THE PLANET. No one is normal any more.

We all are SOME KIND OF VAMPIRE, now aren't we?

lol

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

"Thanks for this!" says:
DM (03-24-2009), GladysD (03-29-2009)