View Single Post
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
Has your GP offered you a referral to a rheumatologist?

I'd want a second opinion.

And, to answer your question: Yes, OA can be symmetrical or affect both sides of the body.

Because OA, as with other forms of arthritis (or within the arthritis "family") can also relate to the automimmune system, coming down with something such as the flu could be totally coincidentally or a "trigger" - enough to push it to the point of having to notice it and seek med. attention.
Thanks Bobbi.
It's a relief to get another's opinion, especially after 76+ people read about my problem. This is the
2nd occurence of athritic pain in my hands after flu. The first time was 5 years ago. It lasted 6 months and resolved on it's own. Again it was after a flu and my hands were in bad shape. At the time I was I tested for autoimmune disorders then (bloodwork) came back negative.Because it went away, I forgot all about it.

On this last visit, I tested negative to rhematoid and ANA. So I dont know where that leaves me now. My GP says its osteo,based upon blood work, but since osteo is a "wear and tear" form of athritis I find it odd that both hands would be affected exactly on the same day.

Thanks again for reply.

Aussie
Aussie99 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote