View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyd View Post
You can store any bulb or tuber in heavy paper grocery bags. Make sure when you bring these in that you 1st shake of as much dirt as possible. Next lay them out on newspaper until they are all dry!! Pop them into bags and store in basement or garage where there is a little heat. Nothing below 40. If they freeze they are dead. I used to take my geraniums out of ground or pots and do this. Later I just brought whole pots in and stored them the same way. Begonias too. Dont water them and near spring you will see white growth (because of darkness). Bring them back outside when frost is over and wala, same pots of flowers at no cost!! Be sure to dig up cana lilies and calla lilies also. If they freeze they will also die. Happy planting

Well I tried but I lost them all anyway. Too cold in garage (no heat at all) too warm in the basement - where I kept them. They all molded.

But get this, I must have missed a few when I dug them up, and they are sprouting. So there will be a dahlia or two despite me.