Old 03-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by judymoody View Post
Mrs. D., I wanted you to know that my father is showing some positive changes in his mental functioning- we started with B-12 and B-1. Hopefully this isn't a placebo effect, and the Bs are working for him. No input/suggestions from his doctor, we just feel stonewalled, and since we can't get any guidance from him, we don't feel it is possible to start EFA's, do you agree? Also, I want to consider SAMe for him, but wondered about interactions with his other drugs. I can't find any reactions specific to the drugs he is on, but don't want to miss anything, either. If you have time, your input would be appreciated. Thanks so much. Julie
Oh, that is really good, that you are seeing progress so quickly!

EFAs are really food. They become "drugs" when used in high doses. The most common effect in high doses, is slight thinning of the blood. So the warfarin is a potential issue. BUT you can choose foods with EFAs in them, and this would be a modest way to increase safely. Some salmon twice a week, Omega 3 eggs,
and Smart Balance mayo and butter substitute spreads, will give some. There are Chicken of the Sea pouches of salmon now, for about $1 each, and they make a nice sandwich..mixed with Smart Balance mayo...etc. Better than tuna, which is now
more heavily contaminated with heavy metals. We use the pouches of salmon now alot, even one of my CATS is hot for it! Begs for it!

SAMe is just a fast way to do this:
B12, B6, folate make SAMe in the body. So by providing those you can do the same thing more slowly. In a very elderly person with heart issues, stimulating too fast with SAMe may cause some heart problem. SAMe donates methyl groups to make neurotransmitters in the body/brain, and one of them is norepi..which increases heart rate. So doing it the vitamin way is slower and gentler.

Make your changes and introductions slowly, and watch and see what is happening. You have to always watch patients on warfarin... this is a tough drug to take and monitor!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote