View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 06:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Street View Post
I find that when I can concentrate very hard on something, say a piece of writing or a game (I love Patience, or Solitaire if you like) or a computer problem (I'm a bit of a techie, or think I am) the pain goes into the background for a while.

I find distrations help as well, I think being couped up in the house this winter has made things worse, I keep waiting for the sun to break out but this winter has been miserable. I was working out and that helped but since my doctor out me in a boot cast to stabilize my ankle until I can get a brace, that has made excercise sort of difficult (although not impossible) I may try swimming. I need to look into that book, but it sounds like I need to find my happy place and get my mind to focus on that.

Generally I try to keep myself as distrated as possible when I am home alone but it isnt always easy especially when the pain is really bad. Sometimes I am sitting on the couch, watching tv, on the computer and doing paperwork all just so I can keep my mind off of things with my feet.

Yesterday I got home from work and the pain was so bad, I had been trying not to use my cane at work to see if I could tolerate not using it, all it did was make me completly cramp up. I came home and went to bed at 4 pm and aside from waking up for an hour at 8 to watch tv and make dinner and then again at 3 am (sat in bed and checked email) I slept until 6 am this morning. Yikes. I dont want too many days like that.

As far as smoking is concerned, I am working to quit, and probably just need to take the plunge, I am sorta hoping tomorrow will be my quit date. I did it before, I know I can do it again. I know sometimes it takes several attempts befor being sucessful though.

I am trying not to let neuropathy and pain overwhelm me and make me a shut in or prevent me from going out and having fun as I am trying to cope with depression revolving around medical disaster that this last year has been for me.

Back surgery, Diabetes, Neuropathy, Gastroparesis, Family Drama around the holidays - It was a "perfect storm" kinda year.
kreink is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote