Old 03-25-2009, 10:18 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

[QUOTE=Porkette;486612]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shezbut View Post

Hi Shez,
I'm sorry to hear that you had to go off the Depakote also. I also had low white blood count level and when I was put on Depakote it had just come out and I was like a guniea pig so the Drs. could see how it would effect me. It was later that I found out that it could get into the liver and 43 people passed away from liver failure. Depakote also caused me to have a medical form of anorexia I would eat 3 meals a day along with snacks but the drug caused me to lose 70-75 lbs. in just 4 months and I went from 145 down to 80 lbs. Ever since then back in the 1970's I've had a hard time keeping my weight up to normal no matter what I eat. Just this past month I've lost 8 lbs. and I haven't even tried to diet at all. Here's wishing you well and May God Bless You!

Sue
(((Sue))) I'm sorry The Depakote had a lasting effect upon your liver?

I was taking senior finals in college during my med change. I felt fine, and practically begged my neuro to let me stay on Depakote for just another week. He said, "Fine, if you want to end up in the hospital!". Errrgh - I made the switch as recommended. But I always wondered if he was just completely paranoid or if they had the wrong blood !

Many years later, my epi confirmed that my WBC level was very low & the change was necessary. But I still wonder why I felt fine when my level was checked, if the WBC count was SO low?? Not that you have the answers, but you probably know a heck of a lot more on that med than I do!

Best wishes!
Shez
shezbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote