View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 11:45 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Heart

((((((Pam)))))),

I wish you weren't suffering so much. Make sure you tell that doctor that you'll take a cancellation appointment. There's bound to be cancellations with the holidays and vacations and the flu.

I remember the horrible pain that I was in from a subway accident over 25 years ago. I had to stay in bed a month. If I hadn't had my cat, Fluffy, I would have lost my mind -- he slept with me all day and night. If you're laying down a lot, try laying on your side and pulling your legs up into the fetal position -- it opens up the spine.

When I was going through that whole period, the orthopedist told me that you lose a lot of muscle mass and strength when you stay in bed for a week. They actually do not recommend that much bed-rest anymore.

There are other positions that take the stress off the back without your having to go to bed -- sit in a well-padded Boston rocker and put your feet up high, like on the bed or the armrests of the sofa. Sit on the sofa with bed pillows behind your back and your feet on top of bed pillows on the coffee table. Sometimes laying on the floor on your side in a "sun patch" with your bed pillow helps. (I got this one from my cats. They seems so relaxed when they're laying in the sun patch, especially in the Winter, I figured I try it. It's so warm and inviting -- it feels good!)

Try different chairs and sofas and beds in your house -- sometimes just a little change will help. I used to take a nap in my son's bed when he was in elementary school.

Hang on tight, Pam. You'll get through this. We and your husband will help you. The offer to write if you need to is ALWAYS open.

BIG HUGS.

Barb
moose53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote