View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 08:02 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Red face New graduate through Hell's Gate

Well that is a lie isn't it?
It's not like having a diagnosis suddenly made her BP... her behaviours have been hard work for a long time. I guess the 'graduate' bit is finally knowing that my gut instict that her moods weren't just 'typical teenager' were right.

I am the mum of a 16yo teenage girl who has recently been diagnosed BP2.
What I am struggling with is probably the same thing most other parents struggle with:
*wanting to 'fix' the problem (I can't) which makes me feel like a bad mum -although irrational I know

*trying to deal with the rapid cycling unpredictable mood swings- with all the 'fun' that goes with that- swapping between tired, irritable, grumpy, rude, crying, down, hyped, chatty, needy or maybe just screaming at me to F-off

*trying to support her to adapt to new meds, changing levels of meds, blood tests, visiting Drs and the sheer exhaustion and frustration she is facing dealing with the moods herself

*working with the school to help her keep a grip on studies when she has the concentration of a gnat, needs time off school and is seriously low- when previously she was a model student with straight A grades.

*trying not to neglect my other children in the process.

Any tips for surviving hell?
Other than trying to cry enough to put out some flames?

Maggie