View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 08:30 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsD View Post
Did the doctor give you the short course of 250mg?
This is a low dose and may not have the severity of the side effects that the higher dose one may have.

Unfortunately all the bladder infection drugs have side effects on PN. Macrodantin (Macrobid) and sulfas both affect the nerves in some people as well.

So Vit E (natural type) and NAC (n-acetyl cysteine) would be good things to take for a month or so if you remain on the Cipro.

To prevent further episodes, cranberry extract in tablet/capsule form works for some.

This is one of those situations where someone may HAVE to take the dreaded drug(s) that create more trouble down the road. Dose and time on them are also factors. Low dose, short course, is the least problematic.

Yes, he gave me 250 mg, 14 pills to be taken once twice a day. This would be a 7 day treatment I guess. As I mentioned, I have already had two days of treatment and I already feel back to normal bladder wise. Sounds like I may not have much of a choice, as you mentioned most of the antibiotics taken for a bladder infection can still cause problems. So the 250mg. is a lower dose? I wonder if I can cut down on the days needed on this. I will take your advise about all of the supplements mentioned.

I'm curious in general MrsD, when someone gets PN from antibiotics, how far down the road after taking them can PN start? Can the nerves heal from this? Thank you for your help....
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote