View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 03:22 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. I appreciate all the tips and advice . . . seems there's always something new to learn about this crazy condition. Also wanted to give you guys an update after more dr appts this week.

I consulted with the ortho doc on Monday about the new MRI. He said there wasn't a significant change from the 2005 MRI so he wouldn't recommend surgery for the cervical issues. He sent me to see another doc in his practice for a new nerve conduction test. Results were normal so no nerve damage yet. This guy also agreed with the TOS diagnosis but thinks I may have the vascular type which is a little scary. I believe he based this on the temp difference between might right and left hands along with my pulse cutting off when right hand was held above shoulder-level for a minute or so. My right hand gets cold and pale but it doesn't turn blue or have any swelling. He said I would have to see a cardiac doc for an angiogram/arteriogram or something like that to know for sure.

We also discussed the treatments I've tried in the past along with my current meds. I told him that I'd been considering surgery because of how much pain I've been in recently even on max doses of my meds. Told him that I really didn't want surgery because I felt it was a last resort and wasn't ready to play that card just yet. So the only thing I haven't tried is taking a break from work and trying to rehab. I have disability insurance through work and he's willing to fill out the necessary paperwork. So my new plan is to take at least a month away from work and do physical therapy 3x per week for the next month. Then I'll go back to the doc and see where we go from there. I'm also on some new meds. Tramadol ER, Baclofen and Soma for breakthru spasms.

Given my new plan, I have some questions for you guys. How many of you saw improvements after taking a break from work? Did PT seem to help or hurt? How many of you have opted for surgery? If you've had surgery would you do it again?
farmgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (03-27-2009), gibbrn (03-29-2009)