View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

PLEASE get another opinion.

Many years ago, a very sweet, well loved Dentist told my husband that he needed deep scale scrubbing, and would need to book several surgical appointments. He was at the desk signing up for all of these services, when I came out and started playing 20 questions. I REFUSED the surgery. I got him a very nice Sonic care toothbrush, and gave him better instructions on how to brush. He was not brushing the gum line, just the tops and sides of his teeth, as no one taught him better. I booked an appointment with another dentist, and while he confirmed that my husband had a large build up of tarter, and may benefit from the scaling, it wouldnt hurt to try better brushing techniques with a better brush and some time. We went back three months later, and it was much improved. We did three month professional cleanings for 2 years, and the problem resolved with hard work on our part, and education on better care. My husband was flossing, but would just snap the floss between his teeth, and not pull it through against the root line to pull out debris.

If your gut is telling you that this is wrong, seek another opinion. Ask if there are alternatives to this treatment. Ask if they are willing to work with you on other methods BEFORE resorting to expensive surgeries, and painful proceedures. Lack of insurance shouldnt make you a target. Paying cash should net you a discount, as they dont have to deal with insurance companies. They should be deducting at least 10% off the bill.

Make some phone calls, and seek a 2nd opinion for ANY surgical proceedure, dental ones included.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (03-26-2009), Kitt (03-26-2009)