View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 06:44 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The symptoms mentioned in the article are exactly what I deal with all the time, and it would be very difficult to get through the day if I did not use rehearsal and external cues.

My cues are visual, moving towards something on the ground, usually lines in a sidewalk. I have an internal metronome going when I move, to establish rhythm. I often sing, or count.

I think 'side to side' instead of walking forward and that helps me overcome start hesitation and walking.

I'll stand on the train as we're arriving in the station and I move side to side with my feet to help me get off the train. Many times the door has closed on me. I'm sure people don't understand what's going on when my slow Frankenstein walk is happening. I'm just happy my legs are moving at all!

I'll look for that complete article. I'm curious about what techniques they use in the program. I learned some cues in PT and they helped me a lot. I was standing up and sitting down multiple times and then I got stuck and could not get up. The therapist handed me a cane sideways and as I reached for it, I got up easily.

So reaching for something helps me walk. I usually imagine reaching and it helps just as well.

Turning a corner is easier when I'm pushing something with my hand. I think the reaching and pushing is establishing an external cue that allows feedback to my brain which in turn helps me move.

Here's the complete article:

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/c...973/HTMLSTARTW

There are only three colors, 10 digits, and seven notes; it's what we do with them that's important.
~John Rohn
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
gardengrl (03-26-2009)