View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi ewizabeth,

I'm sorry you had an unpleasant experience with this new dentist. It sounds to me like he was very preventive oriented perhaps moreso than your previous dentist. Thus the recommendation to remove your old fillings.

Mercury fillings (silver colored) are highly toxic. We breath the mercury vapors from these fillings every minute of every day. After about 10 years, these fillings start to break down which causes additional vapors to leach off of the filling. With composite (tooth colored) fillings, their life span is about 7-10 years and then they start to break down. With crowns and bridges, the cement lasts about 10 years or so and then the adhesive bond breaks and bacteria starts to get in underneath them.

So as you can see, no dental restorative material has an indefinite shelf life in the mouth. We don't necessarily develop symptoms at the onset of the breakdown unless part of the filling comes out or the tooth breaks or infection occurs. But the breakdown is there and someone very preventive oriented will bring it to our attention before it becomes a problem.

FYI...... I work for two separate practices, both in different but very expensive high income areas. The one office is very preventive oriented and the intention is focused on the betterment of the patients overall health. The patients in this office have beautiful well crafted dentistry and they are by far healthier patients. The other office is much less preventive oriented and the patients mouths are not taken care of like they should be and it is very evident in their ill health. Both offices have similar fee structures. So I just wanted to share that it's been my experience that the guy in the nice building is not necessarily out to get your money but the guy that overlooks the old and worn out may not have your best interest in mind.

Everyone has to do what they feel is most comfortable for them. I hope your relationship with your dentist continues to be a good one!!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewizabeth View Post
Get a second opinion. When we moved to our town 20 years ago, we tried a new young dentist with an office in an expensive medical building. He said I'd need most of my old fillings replaced.

I hadn't been ignoring my teeth and in fact had had regular dental visits before moving there.

We decided to try another dentist, one who attends our church and has a small and modest office. He said my fillings were fine and all I needed was a cleaning and checkup.

There's no way I'd believe that dentist under the circumstances, it sounds fishy to me.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote