Thread: gamma knife
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Gamma Knife- Follow Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjagelle View Post
hello... I'm seriously considering having gamma knike radiation treatment. Can anyone please tell me their experiences with this? thanks, karen
Hi Karen. I have Atypical Unilateral TN on the left side (jaw area only Thank God). I've suffered with TN since approximately 2004. It seemed to be seasonal in the beginning and worsened over the years. I tried everything from dental bite guards, to chiropractics, to acupuncture, including the GK treatment this last September 26th. I was hoping to get somewhere between 3 and 10 years of relief. It's a fairly easy procedure with little side effects. I'm 42 years old and in relatively good health other that the TN. The GK treatment takes a few months to really kick in.

The GK treatment only gave me about 60 days of pain free living before the electric shocks started up again. I'm not 'back' on 1200mg of Tegretol per day in the fuzzy state of mind in order to somewhat control the pain.

I'll give this advice. Go to a notable Neuro Surgeon and have him or her do a MRI. They are the best MRI interpreters and will tell you how many vessels are compressing your trigeminal nerve. Don't mess around with any other methods of treatment other than the MVD (unless you physically can't undergo a surgery).

I'm finally scheduled for my MVD operation on 4/3 and can't wait. Sure I'm anxious about all the possible things you will read about MVD ops, but I would have done it years ago if I'd had an expert read my MRI. I would have save tens of thousands of dollars in other useless treatments (yes, herbal treatments too) and gone for the MVD. It's the only treatment considered permanent with a 98-99% likelihood of curing your ailment.

I hope this information save you time, money, and most importantly, undue suffering of your TN affliction.

God Bless!
thedspeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote