View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 12:20 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess78 View Post
I hope that u have great results with the mvd surgery, I have atypical TN as well, but when I had my MVD surgery, the docs didn't find anything AND severed the nerve so I am left in more pain than I was before. I am not saying that I regret having the surgery b/c no matter the side effects, I would have tried anything, I 2 feel as if I could pull my own teeth! I just hope that the docs that u see gave u full info of the side effects of this type of surgery b/c mine did not and it was disappointing 2 find out that the pain that I am left with is not curable. Again good luck with everything and remember u will still feel pain after surgery, but if it works it will gradually go away!
I have read 100s of posts in several forums regarding MVD ops. Your post stating your doc severed the nerve is the first I've read as using that as part of the surgical plan. I'm sure you 'now' have learned that all vessels are padded and the nerve is isolated from contact from any of the vessels. I'm very sorry to hear you've had a bad experience.

I'm scheduled to have an MVD op in 7 days with a surgeon who has performed several hundred MVD ops. When I asked him about severing the nerve he said that is the last thing he wanted to do as it would most likely cause more pain. Like you said, everyone should seek a tried and true expert in TN ops and ask good questions about the after effects.

Wishing you pain-free days!
thedspeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote