View Single Post
Old 03-28-2009, 02:08 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default food help

Hi EE,
I know lots about blood sugar because I have several diabetics in my family. Here's what I can tell you as a layperson:

First, if you can, eat 3 meals and 3 snacks per day, this will help keep your blood sugar level. If you try to lose weight by denying youself food, it fails because your blood sugar see-saws and that makes you crave things. Usually carbs, which give you a quick fix, as they turn into sugar in your blood. It's the body's way of correcting low blood sugar. Problem is that carbs make you crave more carbs-ever eat potato chips and then go back and get more? That's what's happening.

Okay so when you have these meals, you should be aiming to eat every 3-4 hours. When you have a meal, it doesn't have to be BIG, but it ALWAYS needs to include some form of protein. This would be things like: Low fat cheese, an egg, small serving of meat, yoghurt, a latte, small serving of nuts or peanut butter, etc.

Some healthy snacks would be:

-a slice of low fat cheese and an apple

-a hard boiled egg

-jello with low fat whip cream

-yoghurt with a table spoon of granola (with nuts)

-a tall, low fat latte

-22 almonds (PLAIN-no salt-raw almonds)

-a couple of slices of fat free ham and 4 crackers

and so on...if you need more snack ideas, google weight watchers 1 or 2 point snacks. You will get LOTS of ideas. (The idea being 1 or 2 point snacks are about 100-200 calories, which is a reasonable serving.)

When you get up in the morning, you MUST eat breakfast, even if it's a small one. Try and eat within an hour or so of getting up. The longer you are up and active without eating, the more insulin your body thinks it needs and that will cause your blood sugars to be off. If you exercise before eating in the morning, this too will cause your pancreas to work overtime.

Water is super important. It helps keep your kidneys functioning properly and flushes toxins from your system. Often people think they are hungery, but what's really happening is you are feeling dehydrated. Aim for 8 c of water per day. This is 3 bottle of the bottled water. Start with a small amount and work your way up if you are not a water drinker. After awhile, it will become a habit and your body will crave it.

Just so you know, you have to eat like this to lose weight. It seems counterintuitive to eat to lose weight, but it does work. I have lost 65 lbs. over 2 years. I have 40 left, to get to my healthy body weight. Just dropping 10 lbs. can make a difference in your health. I was pre-diabetic and my cholesteral was a concern and my BP was high when I started taking better care of myself. After losing 10 lbs, I had my blood sugar re-checked and it was normal. My cholesteral is no longer an issue and my BP is much lower and I was able to go off one BP med and am only on a very low dose now. (Though my ON issues do not help my BP, but spikes when I am in pain are normal, apparently.)

Anyway, there is a very good and FREE website online-google "spark People". They have all kinds of free weight management tools and boards you can use.

Also, talk to your doc about consulting with a dietician. I don't know how it works in the US, but in Canada, if you have other health issues, you can see one as part of your health care, with a referral. If it costs you in the US, then check out the Spark People site-it's not medical, but it's free.

Sorry this got so long, but I wanted to help, as this is something I know about and you have been very kind and supportive of me. I wanted to return the favour.

Any questions, just holler and I will try and help. If I don't know, I will say so.

prairiegirl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
mrsD (03-28-2009)